Tuesday 20 January 2009

Failed at the second hurdle

I haven't been on the treadmill today. It's 9.50pm (or so) and I'm about to go to bed.

However, this evening I completed two job applications (with lots of help from my lovely mummy). That may not sound a lot, but for me it was a hurdle crossed. Since being depressed and out of 'proper' work (I child-mind two days a week at the moment) for a long time, it had become a big mental block to me to even start looking for jobs, let alone applying.
I have no idea if anything will come of these applications, but in a way, I feel like a winner already.

Tomorrow morning I look forward to a great session on the treadmill :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you anyway Debs...But get your butt on that thing today or else...

Debs said...

I did 45 minutes this morning and it was great :)
Thanks Nikki for the kick.

Brandi said...

Good for you, Debs! Keep it up! :-)

Jessica said...

Sometimes I think it's worthwhile to fail at these sorts of goals right away. From this point on, you can choose to get on the treadmill because you really want to/need to, rather than feeling like you "have" to meet a fairly arbitrary goal.

Silly example: in high school I got straight As. By the end of my senior year I was terrified of getting even an A-, because it would break my streak and ruin my 4.0 grade point average. I had totally made straight As an idol in my life. When I got to college I worked as hard as I could, but I got an A- my first semester. I felt lots of emotions about that grade (including a feeling of accomplishment, since it had been a really difficult class), but the overall feeling was one of relief. That A- my first semester in college precluded me form ever having to worry about wrecking another straight-A streak, and I was able to relax and enjoy my classes more because I wasn't so tense about getting anything less than an A.

Anyways, the important thing now is to keep moving forward and it sounds like you're really dedicated :-)